Wednesday 23 October 2013

Compilation of Reflections for Tutorial Tasks

(Tutorial Task Week 2)

1. How does it affect me as a pre-service teacher?

Based on the first part of tutorial task, I learnt that usage of digital based materials for teaching and learning process can enhance the students understanding as well as promote active participation in classroom. Jeremy Short used graphic novel or comic to teach language to students and he witnessed the there is a dramatic change in the terms of the students behaviour (attention and progress). As a future teacher, I have learnt that I have to integrate multiple teaching aids or materials to ensure that the teaching process runs effectively and smoothly. Besides, variations in materials only are not enough to sustain the students’ concentration, but the way to deliver the lesson effectively also matters or else, the efforts go in vain.

Meanwhile, based on the second activity where we need to design a diagramon based on the influence of materials development in developing Digital Language Learning Materials, I have learnt that materials development task does not include the teacher herself but whole education system itself! It means that I cannot simply integrate any teaching aids just because I want to due to bureaucracy system of our Ministry of Education.

2. How does it affect my current level of knowledge?

Previously I used to grumble a lot looking at the way my teachers used to teach- for example, if the use materials that are interesting and effective, their teachability become a failure. When I was a student, I grow a strong dislike against textbooks because for me- the contents fail to arouse my interest to read and focus on it. However, now I learnt that textbook is a most important component which determines the syllabus for the year and it must be integrated in teaching process but we have the option to use additional teaching aids for teaching materials.

3. How can I use that knowledge to improve myself?

 In the near future, I will ensure that I apply the knowledge when it comes to choosing materials to teach based on the materials development principles and make sure that it is applicable and suitable for my classroom context and as well as following MOE’s guidelines. Besides, I also learnt that materials ought to be updated and modified in order to sustain the students’ interest for a long term.


  (Tutorial Task Week 3)


This is the only task that took me almost a `century’ to complete and seriously I have struggled a lot and lost in it several times to search for correct answers. I read additional materials a lot apart from the existing notes that were given to us because different sources state it differently which makes us confused to determine which answer could be right or which answer could go wrong. Apart from that, it is really difficult to obtain sources to do question (b) the implications of CLT towards materials development. I have searched high and low for the answers and when I got the answers, I can’t understand at one shot. I reread the contents again and again to obtain answer however I cannot guarantee that the answers are right but I can say I have tried my best to do it. That one question results in delay to post the task on blog. 


(Tutorial Task Week 6)

1. How does it affect me as a pre-service teacher?

As a pre-service teacher, I think that DLLM is very important so that the students will feel anticipated to learn and as well as to assist my teaching. To convey the lesson in a more effective and interesting manner, DLLM will be my choice therefore I will constantly keep abreast with the latest or current technological advancements that can be used for teaching and learning purposes. As a pre- service teacher, I have learnt that I have to be a tech- savvy, dynamic educator for my students to create a better teaching and learning environment.

2. How does it affect my current level of knowledge?

Based on my own schooling experience, I am not exposed to digital language learning materials in an advanced way. All I know was power point presentation and textbook attached CD-Rom’s. There is no innovative or creative way that has been used by teachers other than these materials. However, ever since I enrolled in this course, I get to know that new DLLM that able to promote active learning among students as well as improve the teaching skills. Moreover, I have read a lot of files be it from Schoology and extra pdf files to get a better understanding on the topic. Once, I happened to misinterpret the question in the task and it causes me to misleading and answered in different manner and luckily my group member, Anasuhah was there to make me understand better of that particular question.

3. How can I use that knowledge to improve myself?

As far as I concern, I can apply these technologies in classroom to grab students’ attention to focus on learning since we are in the era which prioritise technological gadgets more than traditional teaching methodology. I can even say that traditional teaching method which involves chalk and blackboard is almost extinct these days so as a future teacher, I have to equip myself with necessary skills in using various software to use or implement in my classroom teaching later on. Since I have learnt that DLLM is a crucial element in classroom teaching as well as classroom management, I will use this element in future to simplify complex topics or subjects to be easily absorbed by students. In addition, my fast track speech and inability to converse in local language fluently may become a flaw for my teaching process if I am happened to teach students with low level of proficiency. Therefore, DLLM will support my teaching as well as support the students understanding to give vivid imagination and to provide better understanding.

No comments: